We wish to pass on our congratulations and best wishes to all our Graduands for 2019.
94 students received their Year 12 ACT Senior Secondary Certificate. 66 students completed a Tertiary Package and received an ATAR. 28 students completed Accredited Packages, which included Vocational qualifications.
Merici College Dux
Highest Achieving Year 12 student at Merici College who completed a Tertiary Package – Rosemary Zielinski
Runner up to the Dux is – Jade Esler
ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies (BSSS) Awards
• Rosemary Zielinski – Academic Excellence and Highest ATAR Award
• Ashleigh Lee – Vocational Studies Award
• Theresa Carlton – Community Service Award
• Shabnam Mohamad Shafiq – Academic Achievement Award
• Zali Marshall – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Award
Our highest ATAR was a perfect 99.95, which placed that student first in the ACT. Four students received an ATAR over 99.
Our median ATAR was 80.98 and our average ATAR was 80.36.
Seventeen (26%) students received an ATAR of 90 or higher. Thirty-Six (55%) students received an ATAR of 80 or higher. 94% of students who sat for the AST and completed a T Package received an ATAR of 65+.
University Early Offers
Approximately 59% of our students applied for either an Early Offer/Early Achiever’s Offer/ Spirit of Excellence Scheme or a School’s Recommendation to the following institutions:
• Australian National University
• University of Wollongong
• University of Canberra
• Australian Catholic University
Breaking it down…
• 55 offers to the Universities through the School’s Recommendation Scheme – 18 students who completed a very good Accredited package and 37 students who completed a Tertiary package. OF THESE 37 STUDENTS, ALL WOULD HAVE RECEIVED AN OFFER IN THE DECEMBER ROUND DUE TO THEIR POSITIVE ATAR RESULTS.
- Quite a number of our students are waiting for offers in the December Round from University of Sydney, UNSW, Melbourne University and Adelaide University
- 12 students are waiting for offers to UNSW
- 7 students are waiting for offers to University of Sydney
- 7 students are waiting for offers to University of Wollongong
- 3 students are waiting for offers to University of Western Sydney
Students also gained offers at:
- Australian Defence Force Academy
- Canberra Institute of Technology
- Private Dance Academies in Sydney
VET (Vocational Education and Training) Achievements
In this cohort of 94 students, we had 97% of students receive a Vocational Qualification and this was well above all other Colleges in the ACT.
Many of the Year 12 students have already received recognition of Vocational Qualifications in Year 10 and these are included in the percentages.
A number of our students received multiple qualifications. The qualifications the girls achieved in Year 12 were:
• Certificate II in Business
• Certificate III in Business
• Certificate II in Creative Industries (Media)
• Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design and Technology
• Certificate II in Sport and Recreation
• Certificate I in Information, Digital Media and Technology
• Certificate II in Hospitality & Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
• Certificate III in Hospitality
(ASBA) Australian School Based Apprenticeships and Additional Study
- 4 students have secured Traineeships and full-time employment from their ASBA/Vocational training into Information Technology, Business Administration and Child Care
- 4 students received full time employment in the Department of Finance Career Starter program in 2019
Quite a number of our students are planning to defer their university offer in 2020 with plans to travel overseas and gain employment and experience life outside of the classroom.
We encourage all students to keep in touch and let us know where their future journey of learning and adventure may take them. A destination survey will be sent out after main round offers are made; we look forward to their response.