Congratulations and best wishes to all our Graduands for 2017.
92 students received their Year 12 ACT Senior Secondary Certificate.
Merici College Dux
Highest Achieving Year 12 student at Merici College who completed a Tertiary Package: Cameron Jackson
Proxime Accessit Runner up to the Dux: Ellen Court
ACT Board of Senior Secondary Studies (BSSS) Awards
- Cameron Jackson – Academic Excellence and Highest ATAR Award
- Kaitlyn Towner – Vocational Studies Award
- Roisin Moore – Community Service Award
- Shirahni Mudaliar – Performing/Visual Arts Award
- Lily Coleman – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Award
67% of students set their goals on achieving an ATAR in 2017 and all achieved this milestone.
Our median ATAR was 73.95 and our average ATAR was 75.4. Nine students received an ATAR of 90 or higher. 27 students received an ATAR of 80 or higher. Over 74% of students who sat for the AST and completed a T Package received 65+.
University Early Offers
Approximately 40% of our students applied for either an Early Offer/Early Achiever’s Offer/ Spirit of Excellence Scheme or a School’s Recommendation to the following institutions:
- Australian National University
- University of Wollongong
- University of Canberra
- Australian Catholic University
Breaking it down…
- 13 conditional offers to ANU through the Spirit of Excellence Scheme. Of these 13 students, ALL 13 students would have received an offer in the December Round due to their positive ATAR results. These girls will also be given bonus points for their high scores in a range of subjects
- 24 offers to UC through the School’s Recommendation Scheme – 9 students who completed a very good Accredited package and 15 students who completed a Tertiary package. Of these 15 students, ALL would have received an offer in the December Round due to their positive ATAR results.
- 6 students received conditional offers to ACU in Nursing and Teaching. Once again, ALL 6 students would have received an offer in the December Round due to their positive ATAR results
- 1 student received an early entry offer into UOW based on her ATAR, design portfolio and interview
Students also gained offers at:
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- Australian Defence Force Academy
- Canberra Institute of Technology
VET (Vocational Education and Training) Achievements
- In this cohort of 92 students, we had 97% of students receive a Vocational Qualification and this was well above the 57% of qualifications for the next in line college.
- Many of the Year 12 students have already received recognition of Vocational Qualifications in Year 10 and these are included in the percentages.
- A number of our students received multiple qualifications.
- The qualifications the girls achieved in Year 12 were:
- Certificate II in Business
- Certificate III in Business
- Certificate II in Creative Industries (Media)
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design and Technology
- Certificate II in Sport and Recreation
- Certificate I in Information, Digital Media and Technology
- Certificate II in Hospitality & Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
- Certificate III in Hospitality
(ASBA) Australian School Based Apprenticeships and Additional Study
- 3 students have secured Traineeships and full-time employment from their ASBA into Child Care, Business Administration and Hospitality
- 1 student commenced a Certificate IV in Business Administration after completing a Certificate III in Business during the year.
- 2 students will continue their study in Animal Studies at Canberra Institute of Technology during 2018 after taking time out of study for a bit
Quite a number of our students are planning to defer their university offer in 2018 with plans to travel overseas and gain employment. Two students will be flying out in early January to take up duties at UK boarding schools during their Gap Year.
We encourage all students to keep in touch and let us know where their future journey of learning and adventure may take them. A destination survey will be sent out after main round offers are made; we look forward to their response.
Congratulations to the Class of 2017!
Love life, have hope, be faithful and go out their and build futures more wondrous than you could dare to dream. We are very proud of you!
Mrs Loretta Wholley and the staff at Merici College.